November 19, 2007

Travel Update

So I last left you in Montevideo, Uruguay, a cool little city that I spent a couple days in. Photos of the place can be viewed by clicking here.
I then headed over to Colonia del Sacramento. It is an old colonial town that was fought over by the Spanish and Portuguese for a time because of its key location on the River. The place is pretty well preserved, but also a little done up in the tourist atmosphere. I have noticed there are some places that are tourist attractions because of their natural draw, interesting simply because they are interesting. Then there are the other places that usually started out this way, but due to early success, have now tried to make themselves all the more attractive by catering specifically to tourists. I personally don't like it, because rather than seeing the place for what it is, you get caught up in this whole other fabricated atmosphere that wouldn't have otherwise occurred if the tourists hadn't started showing up. Not to put this place down too much, it is a pretty cool place to pass through, but in a day you have seen all that is offered. lick to view pictures of Colonia de Sacramento.

It was then on to Buenos Aires via a ferry boat, which was pretty fun since it was windy and we did some of that stomach churning up down action on the waves when first starting out. BA has tons to offer and has many unique and interesting sections. Mostly all I did was walk around the most frequented areas, which is really only a slice of what BA has to offer. But since I am trying to save some money, and spending way too much just walking around everywhere, I limited myself to this type of experience.
Tons to do here, and lots of attractions, from great big plazas, government and historical buildings, and busy avenues full of shops, street shows, and people.




The Recoleta (pictures)
Famous for the cemetery with lots of above ground graves (more like small, very expensive looking houses). The surrounding neighborhood is upscale and has some cool buildings, as well as an art museum and plazas.





La Boca (pictues)

A little touristy for my taste, but colorful buildings and tango dancers line the main part, and the stadium for the Boca Junior soccerteam is nearby. It is a little rough around the edges though, and kind of sketchy to walk to and from. I spent the day here with some Brazilians I met where I am staying, so it was a great day. Brazilians in general are very animated, fun loving people. I love the fact that they are unafraid to be themselves no matter what or where, and they are just fun to be around. It was also cool to brush up on some portuguese, and while I started to get back my listening skills, I spoke a lot more portaƱol than I did portuguese.


Puerto Madero (pictures)

Ritzy new part of town being built on the old port. Beautiful buildings, parks, and attractions, as well as a river-like port and boats you can explore.






San Telmo (pictures)



The old city and where I am staying. the streets are closer, and the atmosphere is pretty cool. Sunday there is a big antiques fair, and antique shops are all over the place throughout the neighborhood.




All in all Buenos Aires is a pretty cool city with a lot going on. I am pretty sure anyone could find something they would want to do or to see without much problem. There are also lots of travelers here, and as a result, some cool people to meet. I spent most of my time with my brazilian friends or with an Australian traveler I met, swapping stories and sharing in adventure. I am glad I came to see the place, but at the same time, I have been in and out of the cities for a little more than a month, all the plazas and statues and museums and streets are starting to blend together. The pollution here is also getting to me, and I have trouble breathing from time to time. I leave tomorrow for Patagonia, and welcome the break to city life. I do however have a 36 hour direct bus ride to one city, where I will have to find a connection to a city another 6 hours away. Prayer for safety and sanity would be much appreciated. I hope all are doing well and have a very happy Thanksgiving. Eat lots of turkey for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment