January 16, 2008

Bud Davis

Being far from home has perhaps made me better appreciate my home, my community, and where I grew up. The Tahoe community has always been unique in its culture, and I am proud to be a product of this upbringing, one that all graduates from the north and west shores of Tahoe share. The essence of this community comes from its members, who love the mountain life, its people, and its kids. So many of you have poured into our lives like parents although we weren't your kids, and we have you to thank alongside our own parents for giving us such a special place to grow up. We recently lost a key member of this community after his long battle with cancer. I did not know Bud Davis that well, but knew him enough to see him offer his time on the soccer field, the ski slopes, the restraunt dining room (and kitchen, and bar, and management, and...), the concert halls, long bus trips, the jazz band tours, and the lives of his family and Tahoe community as I grew up, and I know this only captures a snapshot of his life, especially to those that are closer to him and know him better. We all carry a piece of him with us now as products of that Tahoe community he helped shape, and I would like to pay tribute to his commitment and love over the years to that community. May we all be such members in the lives of others and our own communities, no matter where we end up. So here is a small tribute to the life, memory, and legacy of Bud Davis.

No comments:

Post a Comment