March 3, 2008

Salta

(Complete picture set)

So, for my Tahoe friends, I have a very random meeting at my hostel in Salta. A travelling American from a little place called Winnemucca, Nevada. She also happened to go to OU, where my brother is, and so where would a more logical place be to meet each other than in the north of Argentina. Ran-dom. She was a bit surprised when I found out she was from Nevada and then asked where. She gave a little laugh like I would have no idea if it wasn't Vegas, maybe Reno. But little did she know I had been to about every city the state has to offer on its three main highways, and then some, so it was pretty funny when I knew where she was from. I still can't believe I met someone from there here in Argentina. Comical.

I also got stuck again. Bolivian visa requirements are long, arduous, and complicated by only getting half the information one day, and the other half the next when you come back and think you have everything ready. They wouldn't want to give to you all at once though, that might just be convenient. (Forgive my cynicism, I know it sounds pessimistic. I actually chuckle to myself everytime I think of this latino quirk of how they give you information. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but if you ever ask for directions in South America, ask twice. Don't start walking too far until you have at least two corraborating stories. For some reason, you can't just say you don't know where a place is down here.). So with a big smile, =D, I spent 3 days getting my Bolivian visa, having to obtain copies of my Yellow Fever vaccination, credit card, passport, and letter of invitation, a 3x5 photo, filled out application, and deposit with receipt of $100 in the bank. Thankfully I didn't need a entry and exit ticket, as there are no busses that go in and out near the southern border. Eventually it all worked out, and I was legal to cross into Bolivia.

Salta itself is pretty enough, with some mountain scenery, interesting and pretty churches, and a mountain you can climb or get a ride to to see the city, valley, and surrounding countryside. The streets are narrow and busy, quite different from my Mendoza experience, with an atmosphere all its own. I met some cool people in my hostel, and ended up speaking spanish most of the time, as the nationalities were Argentinian, Italian, and Spanish. It was a welcome practice period and relief from English. They even had a puppet show at the hostel in Spanish, for which they cooked some grubbin' Argentinian barbeque. Once I finally got my visa, I headed north to see the colorful mountains painted with many colors near Tilcara.

No comments:

Post a Comment