December 16, 2008

Cuernavaca & Guanajuato

Cuernavaca Photos (4)
Guanajuato Photos (24)

After Oaxaca I made my way up to the region around Mexico City. The early morning hours found me in Puebla after a fitful night of sleep on the bus from Oaxaca, and before the early morning hours were even finished, I was on another bus to Cuernavaca. The purpose of the visit was to scout the town for my Bro, who is thinking about studying abroad either in Cuernavaca or Guanajuato. I arrived at about 8:00, and spent the day exploring the downtown area, the university campus, and meandering around everywhere inbetween. It was pretty cool city of good size, and seemed to offer plenty to do for the crowds of young people milling around. All the students and residents I talked to seemed to enjoy Cuernavaca very much.

Cuernavaca was a cool city with a definite presence of young people. I was only able to spend a day there wandering around the downtown area, the university, etc., and enjoyed the Friday evening street food scene while doing a bit of people watching. Definitely a cool place and I was glad I ended up going there, because if not for the Bro, I would have passed over it.
























I, however, was on a schedule, so after spending the day there, I was leaving on a bus that night at 10:00. I passed through D.F. (Mexico City) without stopping, but only because I had spent a week and a half there on a previous occasion. The chaotic streets haphazardly strewn across the city provide an endless maze of exploration in a seemingly endless city. I would recommend a visit to any wanting to go and explore, but I felt the chaos was not worth the trouble for only the couple days I could spend there. Instead I continued on to Guanajuato, already on my list of places to visit in Mexico, but also the other town where my Bro could study.

Finally it was Guanajuato, a city which gets rave reviews from travelers, so I was planning on visiting anyway before my Bro said there was a school there. The town is awesome. Colorful buildings of the Colonial era sprawled in a ravine, with winding, narrow little streets to get lost in while you wander and explore. It had a cool atmosphere and I had a great time exploring the place for a couple days. The verdict is still out though on which would be better to study at: Cuernavaca or Guanajuato. I had more fun visiting Guanajuato, but think I would rather spend my time studying in Cuernavaca; living in a place is much different than visiting it. Luckily, the decision isn't mine to make. =D































No comments:

Post a Comment