October 18, 2007

Arriba Alvirroja

Boy did I set up this next post with the last one. This is called foreshadowing. I learned that in high school English (and that was about all I learned. And the word exacerbate...I'll try to use it in a sentence later). So anyway, speaking of soccer...the 17th of October was a great day in Paraguay; the national soccer team defeated their Uruguayan opponents 1-0 in a World Cup qualifying match at home in Asunción...and I was there! Man I love fútbol!!! (ie soccer, the real football, the football of the world, and yeah Evan, I said it. You might be bigger, stronger, tougher than me now, but I have the world backing me up. So step off! what!...alright dude, calm down, stop looking at the computer like that, your scaring me. I was only joking...*gulp*) And I didn't even know I would be going to this match when I wrote the last entry (so how well did I set up this post up with my last one? ehh? ehhhh?).

Ok, first some catching up, because I know I am bad at the whole informing you on what I do between stories. So I was at Foz for a while (they have waterfalls or something...I think I wrote a little something about it...) , then I went to a ranch (estancia) in Paraguay for a few days with some friends I had met in Foz. They are an awesome family (mucho amor para uds. mis amigos!), and I had an awesome time with them in Foz and on their ranch. After returning from the ranch to Foz for a couple days, I headed off to Asunción to study some of the español language. I am now staying with a family through the school, who live up to the Paraguayan stereotype of being super friendly and hospitable. It was through them that I got a ticket to the game. So there we go, all caught up.

So anyway, this was way cooler than my last soccer experience in South America. Last time I went to a pro-game in Brasil. This time I was at national soccer game in a country full of people who are crazy about soccer...especially when their team is trying to qualify for the World Cup. Once again however, I couldn't bring my oversized camera into the game without risking of being robbed, so I have zero pictures. They say pictures are worth a thousand words, I probably would have had at least five good ones, soooooooooo, I think four words (?) should do a good job of describing it? It was freakin' sweeeeeeeet!!!!

Outside the stadium the streets were flooded with colorful fans, not all of whom were going to the game. That is a big difference here. Everyone participates in the game, even if it is just wearing your jersey to the local market to share a beer with your buddies and cheer your team on while watching the TV out on the sidewalk. The streets are absolutely full of people wearing their national jerseys. This may greatly exacerbate the traffic situation (that one is for you Alicia ;-) ), but totally adds to the atmosphere in the city. Inside the stadium the fans were passionate, dressed up in their colors (red, white, and blue...easy to cheer for them), dancing, singing, jeering, and whistling (used to cheer, taunt, and boo). A latin beat rings out throughout the stadium from hidden drummers, and the singing does not stop the entire game. The whole country is in a pause to watch the Albirroja contend for their chance to compete for most coveted sports trophy in the world. The Albirroja is the affectionate nickname for their team, which is literally translated the "red stripes," and is pronounced with the super cool rolling r sound I can't seem to do for my life. That is ok...I can make the sound when the home team puts the ball in the back of the net...

GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. hahahahaa paraguay vs bolivia is commming buahahahahaha you guys are going dowwwnnn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALBIRROJA CORAZOOOON!!!...
    =)...
    IM REALLY GLAD YOU ARE HAVING A GOOD TIME IN PARAGUAY!...

    me, here, Im ok... in 2 weeks im going traveling in Rajasthan, that is a state in India that is all desert... the pictures I saw are amazing...

    You have no idea how much I envy you!... I always wanted to do what you are doing... Travel, enjoying and learning... perfect combination in life...

    take care... and enjoy the asados, futbol, chipa, and the guarani...

    So, I think you are now my brother!... hehe...
    take care...

    Diana Caballero

    ReplyDelete