August 15, 2008

Otavalo

Last stop in Ecuador: Otavalo. An indigenous market draws tons of tourists to see the sights and shop the booths, but the people have remained relatively faithful to their heritage and culture, as their dress and crafts testify. There was some good hiking nearby, but I was in an epic battle for control of my insides with a bug I picked up in Quito. Food in general repulsed me, and so I had no energy to do much of anything but lay around in bed most of the day. I saw the market for 30 minutes, took no photos, and did no hiking. Bit of a bummer, but I decided to just take off after I felt I could get onto a bus, since I was there for the weekly market, and didn't feel like waiting a week for it to come back around. So now it was off to Colombia. That word should peak some interests...

No comments:

Post a Comment