August 3, 2008

Quilatoa Crater Lake & Cotopaxi Volcano.

All Photos (23)

Parting ways with my Aussie friends, I then headed to Latacunga to do the Quilatoa Loop. Highlight was the crater lake and the crazy bus ride crammed full of irritable people, sacks of vegetables, and squawking chickens. After spending the night in an upclass cabin style dwelling, I visited and walked around the lake before returning to Latacunga.













I then did a rather dull circuit around Volcan Cotopaxi. It was three days of long hiking, with only limited views of the volcano because of clouds. Not that it mattered...slowly walking around a mountain with a 14 mile (23 km) base is dull whether you can see it or not. Otherwise, it was the typical, high altitude landscape of brown, grassy slopes, boulder strewn valleys, or extremely wet bogs. The mountain did manage to tempt the crap out of me to climb it. I almost caved in, but that chunk out of the funds was too much to bear. Instead, I'm heading up to the capital, Quito.



No comments:

Post a Comment