September 11, 2008

Blue Waters & Caribbean Coast

Taganga Photos (11)
Tayrona Photos (25)

It is a late dinner of empanadas and papas rellenas in the bus terminal waiting for my bus. After buying a bottle of water for the trip, I wait out in the darkness for the bus to arrive. When it comes I heave my heavy backpack into the storage compartment and climb on board. Air conditioned air, cool and stale, welcomes me on board as I check the numbers for my seat. It will be a 12 hour ride with an early morning transfer. Despite being in a temperate climate leaning more on the hot side, I have my fleece jacket and winter hat with me as necessities; for whatever reason, the AC will remain on full blast throughout the night turning the bus into a refrigerator. Vendors climb on board trying their best to convince you that you forgot you needed something they are selling. I'm going to sleep, because the movie will likely be dull and dubbed, and that way the ride will pass faster as well. Soon I will leave the Andes behind for the first time in nearly a 6 months. Caribbean beaches await...

I wake up to being told I need to get off to get my transfer to Santa Marta. I get straight off and nearly choke in the heat. Off comes the fleece, the winter hat, and if not for cultural decency rules, so would everything else. I get into a cab the company has paid for and head for Santa Marta. Another bus and an hour later, and I am in the rustic beach town of Taganga.













Dirt roads, worn down buildings, and blasting latin tunes characterize this small beach town with a horse-shoe bay to itself. Minimalist dress styles prevail in the heat, and other than laying in hammocks, taking a dip in the sea, or eating fish on one of the numerous beach side eateries, there is nothing to do. That, of course, is part of the appeal. The real highlight though is the nearby Tayrona National Park, which includes some pristine Caribbean beaches, virgin forests, and gringos enjoying all it has to offer.













It took in hour to get to the closest beach in a 17 person boat with two outboard motors. A flying fish cruzed alongside our boat for a few seconds, which was really cool to see. I had no idea they had wings and could actually fly; I always thought they just jumped high or something. The day was overcast but still stiflingly hot and conducive to swimming in the water. We stayed in hammocks strung up side by side, and the accommodations included a restaurant and small store selling cold drinks at inflated prices.










In the morning the sun rose in a clear sky, and I awoke in paradise. The blue waters became luminescent, the golden sand of the early morning growing warmer and whiter as the day progressed. The daily routine was one of catching rays, swimming, getting some sun, snorkeling, lunch, swim, read, get more sun, swim to some rocks and jump off them, more laying around, maybe a shower, grab an ice cold beer, and enjoy the view. It was a place where doing nothing was doing enough.






































And for a fun exercise, find all the things different in these two photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment