September 19, 2008

Journey to the Isthmus Land

Last of Colombia Photos (16)
Arrival in Panama Photos (7)

It seemed I just arrived in Colombia when I found myself on the way out. Picking up a mate to travel with in Cartagena, Emily and I made for the cheaper but more adventerous route out of the country via boat taxis. A day long bus journey took us from the magical city of Cartegena to the dingy town of Turbo, where a new and foul smells were waiting for you around every corner. A two hour boat journey took us to the isthmus of Central America controlled by Colombia in a pleasant little town called Capurgana. A nice beach and laid back town, we spent the night there. The following morning it was another boat ride to the backwater port town of Puerto Obaldia, where we officially left South America and stepped down into Panama. From time to time one can find boats leaving from the port to the beautiful San Blas Islands. I had missed the one that morning and the next one wouldn't be in until...well, no one ever knows. Not having the luxury to be spending endless days waiting for another boat, I continued on with Emily to Panama city, taking off from a sketchy, very short runway in a 20 person propeller plane and touching down in Panama City less than an hour later (I am glad the flight was so adventurous because of the fact that I was yet again breaking my rule about not flying. But this was worth the experience). Customs took four times longer than the flight, and finally we were let go, but not before they had called interpool to see if I was a wanted criminal. And just like that, after 15 months in South America, I found myself out of South America and on and Isthmus.




Our plane and our...runway?








No room for error.

No comments:

Post a Comment