October 31, 2008

El Salvador

Santa Ana Photos (6)
Coast Photos (57)
San Salvador 1 (16)
Volcan Izalco (14)
San Salvad
or 2 (32)

It is tiny, and I bet most of you can't name one country that borders it with any amount of confidence (there are three that do). The only central American Country with only one coastline, El Salvador is often overlooked by the traveling crowd as having little to offer that would be that much different from everywhere else they have been, or everything else they have done. I was, admittedly, thinking about skipping over it in the mere interest of time, but thankfully I was saved from doing so.

Back in college I was part of Campus Crusade for Christ, and went on a missions trip to Mexico City my last year. Out of that experience I made some wonderful friends, one of which, Kristen, is working this year for Crusade in San Salvador, El Salvador. So I couldn't pass up the opportunity to meet up with her in Central America while passing through.

Just visiting Kristen would have been cool enough, but I was blessed with meeting the whole team of 4 guys and 6 girls from the States, another traveler/brother from North Carolina, as well as numerous Salvadorian amigos as well. It ended up being an awesome week, a huge blessing to me in my trip, and a ton of fun as well.

The Crusade stint team is working in ministry on various college campuses in El Salvador, committing at least a year to the project. Meeting up with them was a bit surreal, because they were the first familiar faces I have seen and the first group of people I have some sort of connection to back home since leaving 16 months ago (since my parents don't have Skype, I haven't even been able to see them). They are an awesome group, and I was glad that while I came to visit one friend, I left with so many more. I was only there just a short time, but I can't tell you how they encouraged me with their friendship. It was exactly what I needed at that point in my trip. They provided a place to stay, fellowship, and Abuelita, the guy's very sweet maid/cook that whips up some mean meals and does your laundry for you.




Some of the stinters at Hillsong...major fans.

Bean, Brenna, Jenna





Jeff, Trevor, Chepe, Bean







David was also staying there, a brother and traveler from North Carolina. He is traveling now down towards South America on a sort of Missions trip, which you can check out at http://salto-de-fe.blogspot.com/ if you want. We hung out a bit, being the two with no responsibilities, unlike the stinters.




David and I






Through the Stint Team and David, I was able to meet a handful of Salvadorians, which it was awesome to get to know them personally and learn about their culture and country. Since leaving Bolivia I haven't really been able to know people for that long, local or otherwise. So it was so a great time to be able to hang out with this group, which would be awesome to do anywhere, but was even cooler to do in El Salvador.

I was able to see some of the cities attractions while I was there, including Puerta del Diablo, a wonderful lookout point outside and above the city.

More of the Stint gang with some of their college friends, Puerta del Diablo.

Top: Me, Jeff, Random dude to right
Middle: Chepe
Bottom: Kristen, Marijke, Student (sorry, don't remember the name), Jenna, and Marvin?






Photo Fun on Puerta del Diablo


David & Eli






Ei & I








The Buddah (Eli & David)








You know us now.






We headed out to the Pacific coast for some fun in the sun for a couple days, renting a beach house with a huge yard, its own pool, and right there on the beach. Needless to say, it was an awesome time soaking up some sun, playing on the beach, kayaking, running over Salvadorian rodents, and sipping on some coconuts while watching the sunset.










L - Me sipping a coconut











L - Jeff, Marijke, Chepe
R - David











L - David, Lauren, Eli
R - Me











L - Jeff and I




Blanca, Eli, Jeff, Me, and Lauren






One sunny Sunday, David, myself, and two Salvadorians headed out and climbed Volcan Izalco. It sits next to the beautiful Laguna Coatepeque, is surrounded by lush green landscape, and has views out to the coast and to volcanoes on the mainland. Izalco is active and barren, with some holes venting steam on the way up. A good day with good views, it was an enjoyable trip.










L& R - Both David





Me, David, David, and Juan Carlos





We also hung out in pupuserias, went to engagement parties, baked cakes, and most importantly, had an awesome time with it all.










L - Salvadorian Family
R - Street bum...I mean me...






David and I, making our cake








Eli helped too, and we made a pyramid. Thanks Stinters!









Tati, Eli, David, y Yo






I wished I could have stayed longer in El Salvador and spent more time with my gringo and Salvadorian family, but I am needing to get home (Mom and Dad are clapping). So thanks Kristen, Lauren, Brenna, Marijke, Bean, Jenna, Jeff, Chepe, Trevor, Brandon, Dave, Eli, Tati, Blanca, Victor, Chume, Juan Carlos, David, Pepe, Katerina, Claudia, and Hanna (y todos los otros que me olvide!). You all are awesome. Que Dios les bendiga y cuide!

No comments:

Post a Comment