December 12, 2007

El Calafate

This place is Tahoe with a different attraction. It has a giant lake I don't think you can do anything in (drinking water here is unpurified glaciar runoff and highly protected), and is a little flatter around the lake, but with mountains in the distance. But both have there have there touristy appearance with overpriced shops dressed in ornate log-cabin wood finishes lining the street. The real major difference is in the attractions. Tahoe has a big giant lake, El Calafate has a big giant glaciar.

This is one of those must see spots in Patagonia, and unfortunately everyone in El Calafate knows it and gouges you with the prices. Food, shelter, internet, all things touristy, are increased, and an hour bus ride to and from the park costs you 20 dollars, with an entry fee of $1o, which is ridiculous when all that gets you is a walk on the catwalks for a couple hours. That said, the glaciar was impressive. I took a boat ride I regretted paying for, as it was very touristy and full of pushy, trigger happy tourists with their cameras. The walking was the best part, seeing he 55m high and 11km long glaciar from three different levels. The last level gives you a great vantage point to watch the ice fall off the glaciar and crash into the lake below. I could have sat there all day if I didn't have to get back to the bus. I wish there was more to do around there...which there is, but not without paying an arm and a leg. But I guess it was worth the stop off, and it was inbetween Torres del Paine and El Chalten, my two favorite spots I have been to.

On a funny little side story, I managed to lose my bus ticket to the park between the hostel and the terminal. I already had a bus out of town the next day, so it would have sucked to have to come back into town to see the glaciar. So I sprinted back 10 minutes before the bus was supposed to leave to see if I had left it in the hostel, couldn't find it, so sprinted back, to see if I could somehow convince them I had bought the ticket. There was no love there but an Irish mate heard me talking, and he had an extra ticket becuase his girlfriend was too sick to go. So I bought that off him for a little less, which worked nicely for each of us. I got to go and not have to pay full price for another ticket, and he didn't have to end up wasting his ticket either. Anyway, there is nothing like a 2000 foot sprint to wake you up in the morning.




























Tourism at its finest.



















No comments:

Post a Comment