December 12, 2007

El Chalten

This place is amazing! I felt like I did back in Torres del Paine, just trying to close my mouth after looking at all the amazing sights. The town started in 1985 and still has dirt roads and lots of buildings under construction. It is pretty small and peaceful, but you can see that in 5-10 years, once all those tourist log-cabin looking buildings get built, and the roads to the town and in the town get paved, it will be another town fallen victim to its own popularity and tourist scene.





I spent 8 days, 7 nights here, doing "treks" and day hikes. Almost everything is a day hike from the town, so it is hard to avoid the crowds, but camping out farther than the town itself gives you some precious time at the beginning and end of the day to yourself, and doing some off the trail hiking, usually more work, also pays off.















This trip had some adventure to it away from the sights. The first night in a dang bird ate almost all my freaking food I had for four days (see the culprit right). I forgot to hang it before leaving on a day hike. And no Dad, you don't need to say anything. I heard your voice in my head loud and clear when I got back to my camp with food and plastic strewn all over it. I had a dad-lecture already pre-prepared from all the years before. =) I had developed a bad habit on The W, where no one hangs their food as there isn't really a need to. But here it was a different story, and so my planned four days out became three, and I had to ration out two bags of walnuts, a bag of peants, two bags of raisins, and 12 granola bars (4 days breakfast and maybe two days lunch minus the sandwiches) for three days. I was pretty hungry when I got back to town, but it kind of added to the adventure of it all. But then I almost forgot my pack broke as well, the last day, so I had to use some ducktape to get her back to town. Duct tape is so deserving of its title of man's favorite tool. Luckily I met a ranger who had a device that could sew up my pack really well, so I didn't end up having to pay to get it fixed. So it all worked out; all part of the traveling/trekking adventure.













(L-View from just above Chalten; L-View from entrance to town)

El Chalten is by the Fitz Roy Mountain Range, and part of town has spectacular views. I went to a few distinct locations, visiting the Monte Fitz Roy lookout point at Lago de los Tres, Laguna Sucia, the glaciar Piedras Blancas, and Cerro Torre and Lago Cerro Torre.














(L - Walk to Laguna Sucia; R - Glaciar Piedras Blancas)


When I went to Monte Fitz Roy, I got some spectacular views and great weather. I did an even longer predawn hike to Mount Fitz Roy, and had it to myself for sunrise, before climbing even higher to another lookout almost no one does as it isn't on the maps. This was my favorite spot I have visited in Patagonia. Check out the video as I took it from here.














(Sunrise on Mount Fitz Roy)



(Oh my, what big peaks you have)




Laguna Sucia is amazing, with a great setting far below Mount Poincenot, the smaller pointy peak next to Monte Fitz Roy on the left side, and a glaciar whose ice breaks up and then tumbles loudly down the mountainside in a snowy waterfall like path to the lake. The trail here also isn't shown, so I was alone there for a long while too.
















(Laguna Sucia)

Cerro Torre is another pointy peak, with two next to it, a little farther over and with its on lake and lookout point. I went to another "unmarked" lookout on an incredibly windy trail, almost being knocked over a few times and one time I had to grab my glasses in mid flight off of my face after they were caught by a gust.














(Cerro Torre)


I also went to a place called Laguna Toro, but it was so ridicuously windy when I got to the camp I couldn't even get to the lake until the next day. I was alone in the camp the, a rarity in this area, so I really enjoyed that.














(L- Valley to Laguna Toro; R - Would you say it gets a little windy here?)

El Chalten has been my favorite place so far, and I am only writing less about it as I am a little tired of writing about all my adventures right now. =) But I wouldn't have minded spending a few more weeks there to do more, see more, and just relax (hiking is relaxing to me, even if it isn't like relaxing on a beach) in the forest and mountains. I could definitely see myself coming back here, although that may never happen. I camped even when I was in town, so coming back after a week and a half and staying in dorm rooms full of people and all the accomodations was almost like a culture shock to me. I will be glad to get back into the mountains again, but it is nice to sleep in a real bed and not my 5mm pad on hard cold ground. Luckily for me though I will be going on a trek again in Ushuaia, my next stop.



Sometimes when you are out there all alone, contemplating the surreal setting and stunning views, you reach this point, where all you want to do is turn around and say...










SSSSSIIIIIICCCCKKKKKK!

No comments:

Post a Comment