July 12, 2008

The Canyon Hopping Bust

So with my Peruvian visa set to expire in just a few weeks, I planned one last trek in the Cordillera Blanca before being forced to move on (probably for the better...I should come home sometime, right?). It was going to be a sweet, hardcore route through the southern part of the Blanca, which I have stared at from Huaraz but had yet to hike through (all the other treks were up North); sweet because of the views, and hardcore because of the route I had planned. I could go into detail about what I was planning, but as the title divulges, the trek was ultimately a bust. Heading in I didn't feel well, had a headache, cough, and just lack of energy. After a short first day I camped, hoping that an afternoon rest and night's sleep would rejuvinate me. I felt a little better in the morning, but after hard day up a steep, glaciated pass, then a knee-aching downhill to the valley floor, I was once again wasn't doing so well. Head throbbing and enervated, I was just not up to the route I had planned. So day three I headed out. I was still able to see some great views, though I am bummed I didn't feel well enough to do the whole route I had planned, because many more were sure to come. Here is a link to some cool sights of what I did do, and a video from the top of the pass I climbed.

Trek Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment