July 20, 2008

Deportation to Ecuador

With a fast expiring tourist visa in Peru, I had to forcibly deport myself to Ecuador, just making it across the border before my time ran out. I might have even been over by a day, but luckily for me, the border agent figured either I was just within my limit or not over enough to deal with the headache of calling me on it. From Huaraz, it was an overnight bus to Trujillo, where I spent the day wandering a relatively dull city, catching another night bus to Piura, where I bought a ticket for an international bus that morning to Loja, where I managed to find another overnight bus to Riobamba. Arriving at 7:00 in the morning, I promptly found a hotel room and crashed on my bed until about 1:00 that afternoon.










L - Typical day at customs; R - Ecuadorian Ronald McDonald


Riobamba doesn't offer much within its city limits, but on Ecuador's Corridor of Volcanoes, it does have a lot around it. I came to climb Volcan Chimborazo, whose 20,700 foot peak is heralded as the farthest point from the center of the Earth (more on that later). I met up with some homies (Ryan and Kate) I met in Huaraz, all of us hoping to climb Chimbo while still a bit acclimated from our time spent in the Cordillera Blanca. In the meantime, we went to a nearby town to ride the Nariz del Diablo (Devil's Nose) train, but ended up opting out on the overcrowded, touristy ride. Instead, we wandered the town, visited Saint Peter, then headed back to Riobamba.










L - Takin a picture of the big guy; R - Saint Peter
Avove Right - Saint Peter's toes

No comments:

Post a Comment