August 22, 2007

Brazilian Soccer Games

So a while back I was invited to go to a professional Brazilian soccer game. Here in Curitiba there are three professional teams, and we went to see the Atletico club play, although we went in rooting for the visiting team, the Corinthians. Let me tell you, Brazilians love their soccer.

Last time I was down here was for the World Cup. I couldn't go see a professional game live because soccer, along with everything else, stops since no one cares about anything else but the Cup. Everyone in some manner sports the Brazilian colors, and people even get sent home from their jobs - and yes sent, not just requested and your boss understands because he is Brazilian too, but actually sent - so you better get any shopping, eating, or other errands done a good 2 hours before the start of any game. If Brazil wins, party in the streets until the sun comes up. If they lose...well, you weren't allowed to even mention that, and it's a wonder that whenever Brazil doesn't win the Cup, their country doesn't go into some sort of recession.

So anyway, now I had the chance to see a professional league game live, and I jumped on it. What a thrill! Some of the aspects are very similar to American sports events. Fans dressed up, chanting and cheering, things for sale on the streets on the way in. The stadium is full of energy with crazed fans using only the most proper of the Portuguese language. (I learned a few words there that I don't think I'm allowed to repeat) But the event was also wildly different as well. In every stadium there is a specific section for the visitors, mostly because they would die if it wasn't that way. This just adds to the excitement though, because Brazilians have very well organized, choreographed chants. Some are simply moving the hands back and forth. On another everyone ducks down low while one individual shouts some words, then everyone jumps up and goes crazy shouting the response, which repeats. Another is when one row joins shoulders and moves side to side in the opposite direction of the rows directly above and below it. The effects of these chants is amazing to see, especially when it is an entire section, as well as to be a part of. All in all it was an awesome experience. It is an amazing part of the Brazilian culture, and the fact that I love soccer just made it that much better to experience. The game was good too: it ended in a 2-2 tie. Not so good for the actual fans, but for a spectator just wanting an exciting game, it was awesome! The only bummer: no pictures because it would have been dangerous to bring my camera.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan,
    I thought you should know that I now have 2 Google accounts because Google doesn't recognize the first account and password I set up. I wonder if others are having the same frustration?
    I loved the good old days when kids just wrote a letter home. Just call me ol' Retro.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete