September 27, 2007

Leo and Taty

Some people have the gift of giving. Not like presents under the Christmas tree giving. It's more...intangible. More real. Never confusing value with significance, they give generously what they have to give. Such is the company I have been staying with for the majority of my time here in Brazil. I briefly met Leo and Taty last summer when I came down for my friend's wedding, spending a few nights in their home. Such was the foundation that we had when they offered me an open invitation to a room in their apartment, and we aren't talking about a night or two. All of us know well the reality of the strain involved when living with someone day in and day out, even if you happen to be good friends. Their is some comfort taken by the fact that they are helping pay that large sum of money you have to give away each month that seems to increase every year. At least you know you are paying for maintenance costs and such. I have been comforted by remembering that fact many times when using a washer that washes but doesn't spin, a dryer that doesn't dry, an oven without numbers on the dial (450 degrees is about riiiggghhht there), refrigerators that freeze, freezers that melt, and outlets with 90 volts on one side and 130 on the other. But I digress.

So not only have I been living with Leo and Taty for almost 2 1/2 months, but I have been doing so free of charge. I try to help out when and where I can. I wash some dishes, buy some groceries, try to cleanup after myself, cook every now and then; meaningless tasks that can never payback the generosity I have received from them. But that is just it; they aren't giving to receive, to get paid back. They are just giving because they have something to give and know someone in need. Despite being a young married couple trying to get established in their lives; despite working full time at the youth ministry in their church for next to nothing, while trying to promote their band (Megafone), traveling all over to play, make contacts, and sell CD's; despite all this, they find a way to take in some American kid looking for a place to stay. My Mom and Dad taught me it is polite to say thank you when someone gives you something. But what do you do when you don't have the words to properly thank somebody? How can you relate to them how sincerely grateful you are for the favor bestowed upon you? I don't really know. Put them on your blog I guess, and simply say thank you. So here's to Leo and Taty.


1 comment:

  1. Acabamos de ler o post, ficamos emocionados!!!
    De nada amigo! ;)

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete